According to the user safety report of October 2022, WhatsApp has banned 23,24000 Indian accounts, from which 811000 accounts were proactively banned before any reports from the users.
As per the September month report, WhatsApp banned about 26.85 lakhs of Indian accounts, which is more than the number of Indian accounts blocked in October 2022.
The report of October 2022 revealed that WhatsApp had received a total number of 701 grievances, out of which WhatsApp addressed only 34 grievances. Only the ban appeal grievances were approved by WhatsApp, which had 550 ban reports, and only 33 accounts were banned. Other grievances in the report, such as account support, additional support, product support, and safety, were hardly noticed.
Some of the grievances in the report were reviewed but have not been included as actioned due to the following reasons:
- the user needs assistance from WhatsApp to access their accounts
- the reported account does not violate WhatsApp’s Terms of Service or the laws of India
- the user is writing to WhatsApp to offer feedback regarding its service
- the user needs assistance to use one of our features
- the user requests restoration of a banned account is denied
Safety-related grievances in the report are issues about abuse or harmful behavior on the platform. For such grievances, WhatsApp responds to the user, guiding them to report the complaint with in-app reporting.