Many times, it happens when applications developed on one computing system do not work on others. They may consume too much space and resources, which inhibits the working of other applications. This problem is prevalent nowadays among IT and cloud-based companies. Hence, a highly effective solution to this problem is containerization, and the technology enabling this is Kubernetes. Let us understand in detail.
What is Kubernetes?
Kubernetes is an open-source platform for container orchestration that allows automating of manual processes involving scaling and managing containerized applications. It is efficient to use while working on dev optimization for clouds. During this process, it provides a platform to run and schedule containers on clusters of virtual or physical machines. To know more about the use of Kubernetes in dev, individuals can check out the best online DevOps courses.
Additionally, Kubernetes allows to perform:
- Orchestration of containers with multiple hosts.
- Utilization of hardware to increase the resources required to run applications.
- Updation of apps and automation and controlling deployment.
- Addition of storage to run applications.
- Scaling containerization applications.
- Declaration of managing services that ensure that the applications are running when needed.
- Auto-replication, auto-placement, auto restart, autoscaling of apps.
What is Kubernetes Certification?
Kubernetes certification aims to help individuals, organizations, and administrators to set up value and credibility in the business environment through Kubernetes practices. It allows companies to find high-quality teams to contribute to their growth. The purpose of the certification is to ensure that Kubernetes administrators develop skills, competency, and knowledge to perform Kubnertes-related roles and responsibilities. People willing to learn more about Kubernetes can join Kubernetes training programs to earn certifications.
Popular Kubernetes Certifications
Kubernetes certifications are provided by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), a conducting body for the Kubernetes exam. Here are some of the popular Kubernetes certifications.
Kubernetes Certifications for Professionals and Students
1. Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)
- Level- Beginner
- Validity- 3 years
- Duration- Flexible
The CKA certification allows developers to acquire knowledge, competency, and skills to manage Kubernetes-based tasks and responsibilities. It helps candidates establish themselves as certified Kubernetes expert in the job market and allow organizations to hire them.
The CKA exam is conducted online, and test-takers need to solve various tasks based on Kubernetes practices. The Certified Kubernetes Administrator program covers the following domains.
- Applications of lifestyle management.
- Core Kubernetes concepts.
- Configuration, installation, and management.
- Scheduling, networking, and security.
- Cluster maintenance
- Monitoring and logging
- Troubleshooting and storage
The certification is valid for up to 3 years. After this, professionals need to reappear for the exam and pass it to get certification to maintain its validity. Candidates need to score at least 74% to pass the exam.
2. Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD)
- Level- Expert or Intermediate
- Validity- 3 years
- Duration- Flexible
The CKAD certification focuses on the growth of Kubernetes Application Developers. It highlights the ability of a developer to design, build, expose and configure conventional cloud apps for Kubernetes. These developers can work and manage core resources to monitor, troubleshoot and create apps in Kubernetes.
Candidates need to have the following skills before appearing for the exam.
- Implementing codes in different programming languages, including Node.js, JAVA, Python, etc.
- Knowing the cloud-native architecture and application concepts.
- Using an OCI-based container runtime.
The CKAD certification checks an individual’s knowledge of various domains, such as;
- Kubernetes main concepts
- Multi-container pods
- Pod design
- Observing ability
- Networking and services
- State persistence
The exam is conducted in online mode, and the certification’s validity is for 3 years. Candidates need to get a minimum score of 66% to pass it.
Kubernetes Certifications for Companies and Vendors
1. Certified Kubernetes Software Conformance
Many cloud computing and software providers have Certified Kubernetes offerings. Companies providing any Kubernetes-based software are required to have Certified Kubernetes Software Conformance certification.
Vendors and organizations who are interested in getting this certification need to submit their conformance testing outcomes. The results are evaluated by the CNCF to determine whether the applicant is eligible to get the certification or not. By receiving this certification, companies ensure that each Kubernetes vendor version supports needed Application Performing Interfaces or APIs. It ensures consistency when installing Kubernetes and provides timely updates and conformity of platforms.
2. Kubernetes Certified Service Provider (KCSP)
The KCSP certificate aims to provide support to companies to roll out new applications quickly and efficiently. It offers professional services such as consulting, training, and support. The certification is suitable for companies providing professional services. It helps to increase brand awareness and recognition in the business community as a Kubernetes expert.
Why Get Kubernetes Certifications Matter?
Kubernetes is the most important skill to have when it comes to cloud computing and networking. A Kubernetes certification comes with numerous advantages that help individuals grow both personally and professionally. Some of the benefits of the certifications are;
- Helps Stand Out From the Crowd: A Kubernetes certification can help individuals to improve their resumes and cut down the competition. It helps them look professional and explains why they are the perfect fit for a role in the tech industry. As more companies are using Kubernetes-based software, a certification like this can show relevant expertise and enhances the chances of getting hired.
- High Salary: A well-renowned certification like CKAD or CKA comes with an expectation of a high salary. Therefore, candidates having this certification are expected to earn a decent income. Passing a Kubernetes exam is tough, so organizations looking for Kubernetes experts know that they are not only experienced but comprehend the platform thoroughly.
- Helps in Personal Growth: While preparing for the exam, individuals can learn skills like time-management and strategy planning and execution which will not only help them pass the examination but will also be proved beneficial while entering the co-operate culture.
- Be a Kubernetes Expert: Once candidates have passed the exam, Kubernetes concepts will become simple and easy for them to understand. However, they need to reappear for the exam after the certification expires on the given validity date. But, the good news is that they don’t need to invest more time learning the concepts again. They only need to do a thorough revision.
- Get into DevOps: Kubernetes skills are required for high-profile operational roles such as site reliability engineering (SRE) and DevOps jobs. These roles are popular and have a high earning potential. For system administrators looking to have an SRE or DevOps role, Kubernetes is one of the criteria for shortlisting candidates in most software-based companies. The certification shows their commitment and proficiency in cloud development techniques.
- Get Recognition in Companies: Most of the time, getting a certificate is a part of the usual business learning path, where organizations pay for the courses and allow their employees to prepare for the exams. These certifications let employees, including managers, show the company owners that they are coping with the changing business environment and helping juniors to understand modern technologies. Kubernetes certifications add value to management and other teams to achieve desired business goals.
Container orchestration combined with Kubernetes is one of the most demanding skills in the tech sector. The demand and salary for highly qualified and skilled tech professionals have been increasing since industrialization. As the competition among cloud networking companies is increasing, recruiters are looking for individuals with strong certifications. Hence, it is vital to enroll in the best Kubernetes training and acquire this certification to validate your tech skills, strengthen the CVs and stand apart from the crowd.