IIT Madras is offering a free online course on machine learning called ‘Introduction to Machine learning’ for students and interested professionals.
The Introduction to Machine learning course by IIT Madras aims to equip students with the skills they need to use machine learning and data analytics to understand the growing availability of data from various sources. The course will be held from 23 January 2023 to 14 April 2023.
Professor Balaraman Ravindran, a Mindtree Faculty Fellow and currently a member of the IIT Madras Computer Science Department, will teach the course. The professor has almost two decades of machine learning research expertise, particularly in reinforcement learning. His research interests also include data mining, and social network analysis.
Applications are being accepted for the course that will address the fundamental concepts of machine learning from a mathematical perspective. The course will also cover the various learning paradigms as well as some of the more common algorithms and structures employed in each of these paradigms.
- Probability theory, linear algebra, and convex optimization.
- Linear regression, multivariate regression, subset selection, shrinkage methods, principal component regression, and partial least squares.
- Linear classification, logistic regression, and linear discriminant analysis.
- Learning theory, introduction to reinforcement learning, and optional videos.
- Neural networks, Statistical Decision Theory, and Gaussian Mixture Models among other topics.
IIT Madras is also inviting enrollment for a course on Reinforcement Learning by Professor Balaraman Ravindran. Enrollment for both courses ends on 30 January 2023.